Monday, September 26, 2011

Picture Outing

Saturday started out early. I was invited to go up to Payson/Santaquin Canyon to take some pictures.  I just recently bought a new camera and wanted to shoot some more pictures with it and practice.  I'm taking a photography workshop that my friend Wade teaches.  (He is an excellent teacher by the way)

Our assignment is the rule of 3rds and leading lines.  Chris and I went up early in the morning to see if we could capture the sun as it was rising and see what colors and pictures we could get.  I was so excited about this but nervous at the same time.  Chris is a great photographer and I just started learning to use my camera and I wasn't sure if I could take any "good" pictures but being who I am, I didn't give up and went along for the ride.

We got to Maple Lake and set up.  Here are some pics that I took.  The sun was a bit harsh.  I never thought to say this but Cloudy days are a photographers best friend.  The sun isn't bad but if there were some clouds in place I think my pictures would have been better.  Actually I just need to learn to use my camera well and learn to use the light a bit more.  I'm sure Wade will teach us that in the workshop. Here are some of my pictures.

I actually like the way this one turned out. Kind of leading lines like our assignment. 

The reflection of the trees I think looks to yellow and bright.  But I do like the way the ducks are swimming by, they didn't even mind that I was taking a picture of them. 

Over all view of the lake


We drove up a bit farther to see if we could get any other good pictures.  The sun had started to come out and everything that looked so GOOD with the naked eye just didn't look as good in the picture.  I at least got to practice with my camera and think I'm getting the hang of it a little more.  We drove down Santaquin Canyon and saw a really cute stream that we wanted to shoot.  I had seen the pictures of the water that looked so "fluffy" if you can call it that and wanted to try a shot like that one.  We pulled over and as we parked we noticed a cute little mushroom growing out of the tree, of course we had to get some shots of this little guy.  


This has to be my favorite shot.  I don't know why but I just LOVE it! 


After getting all into the mushroom shot we noticed that the sun was starting to come out and remembered why we had even parked there.  We ran across the street to set up for the stream shot.  I used a big rock that was there along with a little rock as my tripod and set up the shot.  It was a lot of fun! I was basically laying on the ground trying to focus my camera as much as I could to get that "perfect" shot.  Here is what I ended up with after I tried a few times.  This was the end result that is my favorite! 

Love the greens in this.  I think I'm going to blow it up and frame it. 


After I took my camera off my "tripod" I noticed that the rock was placed on there so perfect.  It was all chance that it happened this way. So I took a picture of it. 

Then another.....Cute little thing. 

It was a great Saturday morning. Thank you Chris for showing me a few of your tricks, I hope that we can again go out and see what other pictures we can capture.  I had a lot of fun! 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I love the photos of the lake where it's so colorful. Did you notice how that pic you took with the ducks sort of followed the rule of thirds? The color gradient across that lake totally seems to follow the rule. Looks like it was a fun time.

    ReplyDelete