Friday, April 29, 2011

RUNNING FEVER

I'm going to admit something.....I recently started running.  I have not ever been a runner.  Not really liked it EVER!! I used to run in high school but only because the teacher MADE us!  I remember running with my friend Nicole and she thought I was fast.....yea right! 


Well my brother ran his first Marathon on Saturday April 16, 2011, He is awesome.  I ran my first 5k on Saturday April 23, 2011.  I LOVED IT!! I must admit, I really enjoyed it.  I signed up for this 5k way, way before because a friend of mine wanted me to run and support breast cancer.  I thought I can run 3.2 miles......I'll train hard........I'll get good time.........well I have NEVER ran 3.2 miles.......I DIDN'T train........and I thought I did pretty well on my time.  


I told my husband and kids the night before about my 5k.  My husband looked at me with this weird blank stare, my son was like "OH SNAP" (maybe that's not what he said but close), and Lala was like WAY TO GO MOM!! 


My husband started to say how I hadn't been running and that a "5k was 3.2 MILES YOU KNOW THAT RIGHT?!!?"  I told him calmly that he could either come watch me run or that he could stay home, I told him it was something that I wanted to do and he could either come support me or not.  He didn't say one negative word after that.  


Abraham chimed in and said that it would take me about 45min to finish, then Javier said I give her an hour, Lala just looked and them and shook her head.  Javier, my faithful husband, said to Abraham, "I'll bet you $100 that mom finishes in 1hr."  Abraham was like NO because I don't have money, well dad then said, If I win you have to cut the grass ALL SUMMER, no questions asked, and Abraham asked what do I get if I win?.......dad says I'll give you the $100.  


I've never seen more competition in my life, 1st of all there was no way I was going to finish these 3.2 miles in an hour, that was not my goal that I had set.  2nd, I was not about to let my husband win this bet.....3rd I wanted to show both Javier and Abraham that I could finish in LESS time than what they had both bet on.  


THE RACE IS ON!! I was dedicated to kick butt and not psych myself out so that I could finish in less time. 


Well the next morning I got up early, ate a banana for breakfast and put my kids in the car and headed to Alpine, Javier would meet us later. I had to be there at 7:15 am to pick up my packet and bib, last chance for that was at 7:45 am.  I couldn't find the place and I was seriously about to cry because I wanted to prove my husband and son wrong.  FINALLY after asking a bunch of people for directions I made it, 7:45 am baby, talk about cutting it close!!! 


I got my bib on and started to warm up........I loaded the bus at 8am and off I went.........the gun popped at 9am for us to start and I was off!!!


I made it to the finish line at 35 minutes 35 seconds!!!! I BEAT THE BOYS TIME!! 


I have never been so excited to finish a race let alone RUN A RACE!! I had such a great time that I have kept up my running and plan to run a 1/2 marathon before Halloween!!


GO ME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment